$1 check for first person who convinces me main can't be reserved

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri Feb 26 23:46:43 AEST 1988

In article <8020 at elsie.UUCP> ado at elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>	IMP:	Main.  One of our extensions makes it a keyword.
>		You're not allowed to use it at all.

This is silly.  The proposed standard makes clear what the function of
main() is; a strictly conforming program shall use only those features
of the language and library specified in the Standard; a conforming hosted
implementation shall accept any strictly conforming program; a conforming
implementations may have extensions provided they do not alter the
behavior of a strictly conforming program.

I don't see how anyone could misinterpret the intent of all this, unless
perhaps they were focusing on just one tiny portion of the Standard and
ignoring the fact that it is the entire Standard that must be conformed
to, not just an isolated portion of it.