Timekeeping in ANSI C

Roland McGrath rk9005 at cca.ucsf.edu
Fri Feb 12 13:58:32 AEST 1988

["Timekeeping in ANSI C"] - dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi):
} Sooner than you can say "UNIX is a Trademark of ...", 47000 AD will be
} here.  The greatest mistake a designer can make is to assume that a
} certain date and time will never come.  Such short-sightedness has
} caused problems over and over again, yet we see it again and again.
} Just recently we heard about chaos in the DEC-20 world because they had
} to extend their time structure and use up some reserved fields that
} people had already begun to use for other things.

If we're still using Unix (or POSIX, or GNU) in AD 47000,
or even 2038, I will do repeated belly-flips in my grave (or
perhaps in my armchair in the case of the latter).
--
		Roland McGrath
UUCP: 			...!ucbvax!lbl-rtsg.arpa!roland
ARPA:	 		roland at rtsg.lbl.gov