Turbo C vs Quick C

Ian Phillipps igp at camcon.uucp
Fri Feb 19 21:08:00 AEST 1988

>From article <389 at lscvax.UUCP>, by ram at lscvax.UUCP (Ric Messier):
> I've finally talked myself into picking up a C compiler and thought I
> had even decided on which one to get. The price was just right and so [...]
>
> I can pick up both Microsoft's Quick C and Borland's Turbo C for $53/ea but
> I am not sure which is the better compiler. I have asked everyone I know
> but ...
I've used Turbo 1.0 and MSC 4.0.
The latter got squeezed off my disk a while back.
The Turbo editor is limited as an editor, but does have remap - you could
tart it up if need be with a keyboard remap program.
> inline assembler code to DOS and BIOS interrupt calls within the code,
Yes - the compiler will generate IN OUT INT and you have direct register
access, if you like that sort of thing.

> Anyway, to the point. I want to know what kind of package each of them
> is, what kind of graphics capabilities, support of the Kernighan/Ritchie
Both go WAY beyond K & R. I think Borland is a bit ahead of MS on some things;
as I haven't read the draft ANSI standard, I dont know if declarations like
	main( int argc, char **argv ) { /* hello world */ }
are in it - Borland takes them, MSC doesn't.  MSC 5.0 "totally compatible
with Quick C" barfs on #pragma - guess how I found that out!
There are irritating differences with the header files (memory.h vs mem.h)
but not much serious unless you use the Turbo extensions in non-macro form.
(If you use inp or outp, Turbo will do them in-line via macros).
> release of Turbo C. I am kind of partial to pulldown menus which are
> included in the Quick C package and I don't particularly enjoy going to
> the Turbo editor sometimes, though I realize that I can change the
> commands to whatever suits me, there are just some things I want to do
> that it can't.
If you like pull down menus, youll LOVE Turbo C.
There are lots of graphics in Turbo V 1.5 - I haven't got that yet.

... all views purely personal ...
--
UUCP:  ...!ukc!camcon!igp | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp at camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------