== vs =

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ISC.COM
Fri Feb 19 03:50:12 AEST 1988

In article <3295 at psuvax1.psu.edu> schmidt at gondor.cs.psu.edu (David E. Schmidt) writes:
>... Why couldn't the dpANS committee list the operator ":=" as a common
>extension ...?

Maybe because it isn't common.  I've never heard of *any* C compiler that
accepts it.  (If, however, a number of vendors start including this feature,
then I think X3J11 would be duty-bound to list it as such, and to consider it
for inclusion in the next standard.  I hope it doesn't happen.)

A better solution would be to list "if (x = y)" and friends as a common
warning.  There *is* precedent for this, since some versions of lint (and cc
too, I'm sure) will flag it.