Fortran could learn from C

Eugene N. Miya eugene at pioneer.arpa
Sun Feb 21 12:39:41 AEST 1988

Just a short note on your comment.

Years ago in grad school, I had a visiting French professor of CS who
had a great little cartoon on this problem.  A man (standing) (FORTRAN
written across his suit) and a woman (sitting) (COBOL written over her)
in a living room with a baby (PL/1) on the floor.  There was a big
picture window and a milkman (ALGOL written across him) with his truck
walking up to the door.  The husband is saying:
	"He doesn't look like me...."
The baby and the milkman share the same face.  I hope I still have this
cartoon buried some place.

Face it, you will never satisify users who can't (won't) change, so you
might as well write a new language for new architectures.

>From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene at ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene