Turbo C vs Quick C

Ric Messier ram at lscvax.UUCP
Mon Feb 8 06:30:28 AEST 1988

I've finally talked myself into picking up a C compiler and thought I
had even decided on which one to get. The price was just right and so
was the name when all of a sudden, I hear about this other compiler for
the same price and also from a well-respected name. Here's my dilemna:

I can pick up both Microsoft's Quick C and Borland's Turbo C for $53/ea but
I am not sure which is the better compiler. I have asked everyone I know
but they all give me the runaround without answering the really
important questions. Therefore, I am going to ask the experts, hopefully
those of you that have used either or both. I am currently using Turbo
Pascal and I like it well enough, mainly because I have recently
discovered a comprehensive reference manual that covers everything from
inline assembler code to DOS and BIOS interrupt calls within the code,
to graphics to version 4 and all the toolboxes to ... Well, you get the
picture. But I want to get a C package that is at least as good because,
all though the work I am currently doing is in Pascal, I have never been
partial to the language.

Anyway, to the point. I want to know what kind of package each of them
is, what kind of graphics capabilities, support of the Kernighan/Ritchie
C, other C compilers they are compatible with, how much low level access
there is, etc. I have asked the companies themselves for the infomation,
but I doubt that I will be getting any of it soon, if at all. The other
thing I want to know is what kind of editor comes with the latest
release of Turbo C. I am kind of partial to pulldown menus which are
included in the Quick C package and I don't particularly enjoy going to
the Turbo editor sometimes, though I realize that I can change the
commands to whatever suits me, there are just some things I want to do
that it can't.

Whatever information anyone can provide me with would be greatly
appreciated.

--
- Kilroy
'Just what cowpatch is Lyndonville, Vermont in anyway?'