Portable "asm" (Was: The D Programming Language)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Feb 26 06:34:25 AEST 1988

> If we have the compiler replace names by locations (register and/or memory)
> of the variables used...

This does of course assume that all locations are addressable in all
instructions, which is emphatically not the case on many machines.

> We also should get rid of those quotes in the process...

What if I want to write asm("mov ')', r0")?  The quotes are a reasonable way
of keeping the syntax of the assembler entirely out of the compiler's own
syntax handling, which is a good thing, especially for portable compilers.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry