The D Programming Language (was: Still more new operators)

James Jones jejones at mcrware.UUCP
Sat Feb 27 19:25:54 AEST 1988

In article <1988Feb25.202237.8688 at utzoo.uucp>, henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)
writes:
> > ... An undeclared variable should be an error, not an int.
>
> Um, perhaps you should learn C before you start designing D...?  An
> undeclared variable *is* an error.

Perhaps the original author was referring to letting undeclared identifiers
which are followed by something that looks like an actual parameter list
default to being an extern function returning int, and to the ability to
elide int from declarations (which, if I rightly understand the X3J11 Draft,
can still be done as long as there's *some* keyword that lets the compiler
conclude that it's looking at a declaration).  If that's indeed what the
original author was referring to, I sincerely agree with him.  (It would
be nice if X3J11 deprecated it, too--which it may have, I don't recall.)

		James Jones