MSC Danger (was Re: Turbo C vs Quick C)

Dick Flanagan dick at slvblc.UUCP
Mon Feb 15 01:31:52 AEST 1988

In article <5441 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>In article <2946 at dasys1.UUCP> wfp at dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) writes:
>>In article <567 at naucse.UUCP>, wew at naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
>>> Turbo C is superior to Quick C.  On our campus here we have also
>>> had Quick C blow away hard drives, so be careful.
>>
>>I know of a case where MSC (4.0 I think) utterly scrambled a hard drive
>>(not backed up, natch), when a module compiled with one memory model was
>>linked with modules compiled with a different model.
>
>This can happen with *any* C compiler that uses the large model. . . .
>If you break the rules and link large model with small model, who knows
>what is going to happen? . . .
>
>The only solution is to stick to small models or get some memory protection
     ^^^^

An alternative solution is to simply be careful and not break the rules.
DOS has always been very unforgiving in this area (it's as much a victim
of the Intel architecture as we are), and blaming any compiler because it
"lets" us screw up is a bit tacky.  (Flame != Tim)

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481