system (and mkdir)

R.L. Welsh decuac!macom1!rikki rikki at macom1.UUCP
Tue Feb 2 06:37:39 AEST 1988

>From article <2794 at cbdkc1.ATT.COM>, by pmd at cbdkc1.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc):
> In article <447 at cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com> (Chris (I'm Outta Here!) Seaman) writes:
> }As for what system is good for, try this one:

How about if an application which is really a command interpreter but
allows the user to escape to the shell to do things like "!write joe"?
Back in the middle ages before the "system" call existed, we invariably
included a routine in our applications to do that -- it simply forked
/bin/sh (passing the parsed arguments), exec'd, and waited.  It was
invariable named "execute" or "system".  Seemed like a useful thing.

--
Rikki Welsh
Centel Information Systems