Caution for those considering MSC 5.0

Bob Babcock PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET at husc6.harvard.EDU
Thu Feb 11 15:20:41 AEST 1988

mc35+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Chance) writes:
>Well the punch line is that [MSC] 5.0 puts strings in the
>CONST space which is in the stack segment ....
>that used to be distributed
>among the various FAR-DATA segments.

I ran into  just the opposite  problem.   Having  just  purchased
Turbo-C  1.5 and  MSC 5.0 as possible  replacements  for Computer
Innovations C86, I found that some global variables which were in
DGROUP under Turbo-C were put into another segment  by MSC.  This
caused my assembly language  subroutines  to quickly go south.  I
would  have  expected  the linker  to warn me that something  was
wrong, but it didn't.   Anyway,  my question  is: can I force MSC
5.0 to put all global variables  into DGROUP when using the large
model?  The manual seems to indicate that only initialized global
data  will  go  here,  but  isn't  all  global   data  implicitly
initialized to zero if not otherwise specified?