comp.numeric deferred; try Stanford NA list

Gene Spafford spaf at cs.purdue.EDU
Mon Feb 1 23:50:36 AEST 1988

In article <959 at luth.luth.se> sow at cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) writes:
 >In article <1116 at hao.ucar.edu> woods at hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
 >
 >>>	na.problem at score.stanford.edu
 >
 >>This is a hideous address to use. There should NEVER be periods in the local
 >>part of an address. Many mailers will be confused by this. The user name
 >>(the part to the left of the @-sign) should be a single token. Maybe THAT'S
 >>why we never see any articles! :-)
 >
 >READ RFC822 Page 27. !!!!
 >Periods is allowed in the local-part in RFC822, period.

I'm sure Greg has read RFC822.  He didn't say that it was illegal to
use a period to the left of the @ sign -- simply that it should not be
done because some mailers get confused.  Unfortunately, not every
mailer strictly implements 822 (or 976) addressing, and some will do
the wrong thing when presented with an address having a "local part"
with a period in it.  Attempts should also be made to avoid using "%"
and "!" symbols in mailbox names for similar reasons.
--
Gene Spafford
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004