Caution for those considering MSC 5.0

Dave Caswell dc at gcm
Sun Feb 28 11:52:43 AEST 1988

In article <66 at obie.UUCP> wes at obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
)
)> but isn't all global data implicitly
)> initialized to zero if not otherwise specified?
)
)No, as a matter of fact, it ISN'T supposed to be zeroed, it's supposed
)to be left as it was!  MSC isn't wrong here, your code is wrong
)because it was written to work with Turbo C, which is wrong.

You are wrong wrong wrong.

In article <61 at obie.UUCP>, wes at obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
) Try Stephen Kochan's book "Programming in C" from Hayden Books.  As a
) matter of fact, Hayden has a "Hayden Books Unix System Library," which
) is edited by Kochan and Pat Wood, all of which I have found useful.
) I've heard there is a book on Unix communications in this series which
) I am still looking for.  I heartily recommend any book in this series

Do these books really say that globals are not initialized to zero?
If so they are worthless.