What's a good textbook?

Peter J. Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Sun Feb 7 00:25:19 AEST 1988

In article <8802050815.AA01987 at ucscb.UCSC.EDU> lupin3%ucscb.UCSC.EDU at ucscc.UCSC.EDU writes:

|  How interesting... I'm taking "Introduction to C" this quarter (so I'm
|little precocious in reading this newsgroup...) and the textbook for the
|course is "C by Dissection", by Kelly and Pohl.  Even more interesting is
|that the teacher is Ira Pohl... he takes the subject quite slowly (well, it
|seems real slow to me anyways..) but surely.  However, I also taught myself
|some C over the summer, out of K&R...
|  What I would say is that "C by Dissection" would be good for a beginning
|user (someone new to computers, and Unix... the book is very Unix-specific),
|wheras K&R would be good for a hacker who didn't know C yet.  K&R talks to
|you on a very high level, kind of obtusely, and (while fun for hackers) is
|very scary for neophites...
|--

If you taught yourself C from reading K&R, what are you doing ina  beginners'
class???  Looking for that easy A, eh?  :-)

I agree completely with what you say.  None of my students are  (or were)
hackers, so C by Dissection is a better choice than K&R.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334