C binding interfaces for TCP/IP

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat Jan 30 06:18:06 AEST 1988

In article <2168 at cognos.UUCP> jimp at cognos.UUCP (Jim Patterson) writes:
>In conjunction with RPC, Sun has
>an excellent protocol called XDR (eXternal Data Representation) ...

I wouldn't call it "excellent".  A few months back, when I needed to
design and implement a package for inter-system data exchange as part
of a large project we're developing, the first thing I thought of was
to adopt XDR for my machine-independent data transfer.  So, I looked
it up in the Sun reference manual and found that it had FAR too much
overhead for my purposes.  I ended up implementing my own scheme that
runs much faster.