Limit to array size under cc?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Mon Jan 25 08:40:32 AEST 1988

In article <570 at cresswell.quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <594X at esunix.UUCP>, rushfort at esunix.UUCP (Kevin Rushforth) writes:
>The [stack] limit is not compiled-in.

On some implementations (even of 4.nBSD), it is.  For example,
Gould UTX-32.

>4BSD systems also have a rather nice function
>	alloca(size)
>allocates that much space in the stack; it will go away when the
>calling function returns.

alloca() predates BSD.  Its use was stamped out in real UNIX,
because not all implementations could support a reasonable
alloca().  Inspired by discussions with J Q Johnson and others,
I came up with a "mostly portable" implementation of alloca()
that I posted a couple of years ago.  It doesn't work on some
IBMs and other inhospitable implementations, though.  Contact
me if you need a copy.
	- Gwyn at BRL.MIL