when a core dump occurs ?

James Brister brister at td2cad.intel.com
Sun Jun 26 05:29:14 AEST 1988

In article <623 at goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones at megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>From article <835 at suvax0.shizuoka.JUNET>, by fourati at suvax0.shizuoka.JUNET (Fourati Mourad):
>>
>>   May some body tell me about the most common cases when a core dumping occurs
>> in a C program execution. i'm still don't have much experience in this
>> langage. Sorry for disturbing with such questions.
>>
>>                                  THANKS in advance.
>>                                  Mourad Fourati

Well, it's my experience (which is *not* years and years) that bad pointers are
the most common cause; and these can show up in a couple of places:
	i) A standard pointer operation goes off into an area of memory that
hasn't been requested by MALLOC and isn't part of any static data areas.
	ii) A bad pointer corrupts the lists MALLOC uses and then when you do a
FREE or a MALLOC, the function itself goes off into illegal areas.

I'm sure there must be more, but I'm kinda new to this too.

James Brister
brister at td2cad.intel.com