Should I convert FORTRAN code to C?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Jun 21 22:19:09 AEST 1988

In article <20378 at beta.lanl.gov> jlg at beta.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>The proposed ANSI standard for C has unary plus operators.  Among other
>uses, it can force ordering of expression evaluation.  The famous case
>where C doesn't evaluate a+(b+c) in any particular order is fixed by
>doing a+ +(b+c).  The unary plus forces the subexpression to be eval-
>uated before adding the other constant.

I'm afraid you're behind the times.  There was so much public objection
to this, and so much clamor for parentheses forcing order of evaluation,
that this special property of unary plus was dropped from the proposed
standard, and Fortran-like parentheses order forcing was adopted instead.

>There really are things which are best done in Fortran.

Fortunately not many really interesting things.