C Compiler bugs

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Jun 7 18:39:11 AEST 1988

In article <15202 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>It certainly would be appropriate for lint, but don't you think this is
>a stupid thing for a compiler to allow?  Maybe not, but I do.

I seem to recall you said that this so-called bug had been "fixed".
Was it fixed by building in knowledge that main() returns an int
(in which case how do you disable that "knowledge" for compiling
freestanding applications?), or was it "fixed" by making it
impossible for a function to return a structure (which C allows),
or was it "fixed" by noticing the mismatch between the defined
return type and the value actually returned by "return" statements?