Should I convert FORTRAN code to C?

Greg Comeau greg at csanta.UUCP
Mon Jun 13 23:15:12 AEST 1988

>>   Gee, I just tried compiling x = +5; it worked.
>	i = +5;
>comments:
>	"junk.c", line 5: syntax error
>It may very well work in other compilers, and will probably be added in
>the new standard, but is not there now.

If an old compiler accepts this it is probably just being lazy for some reason.
Since C does not have a unary plus, it should be a syntax error.  Note that
the ANSI draft does allow a unary plus now though since "hey, there's a unary
minus so let's at least be consistent".  Also, at one time ANSI did apply
a binding characteristic to the unary plus applied to parenthised expression
(say: a + +(b + c) if I recall), but that has since been withdrawn.