Table lookups

The Mad Merkin Hunter jlh at loral.UUCP
Sun Jun 26 04:44:58 AEST 1988

Lets say I have a value that can range from 0-15 and I want to print
an ascii string based on that value.  Normally I create an array of
strings and index into it.  K&R does this with the names of the months
when they talk about arrays of pointers.  Now lets say that instead of
index values from 0-15 I have bit positions, i.e., the values are
0x1, 0x2, 0x4, ..., 0x80.  I'd like to do a table lookup on these values
also, as opposed to building a switch statement.  The only methods I
can come up with take a lot longer and are much less clear than the
switch statement (for example, logarithms).  Anyone got any ideas?

To quell the flames rising in your breasts, let me say that this isn't
one of the major questions of the universe.  It's just that for the
kind of programming I do this comes up quite a bit, and my sense of
order gets it's nose tweaked everytime I type in the 'case 0x?? :doit;break'
sequence.

							Jim

--
Jim Harkins