C Compiler bugs (was Re: Speaking of ksh)

Lawrence V. Cipriani lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jun 7 06:31:08 AEST 1988

In article <4421 at haddock.ISC.COM> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>In article <15085 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
**	struct blob { int a, b, c; } /* missing ; */
**	main(argc, argv) ...
*Why should it be considered a "compiler bug" when a syntactically correct
*program containing a user bug dumps core?  It seems to me that the appropriate
*"fix" is to make sure that lint complains about the mismatched declaration.
*Karl W. Z. Heuer (ima!haddock!karl or karl at haddock.isc.com), The Walking Lint

It certainly would be appropriate for lint, but don't you think this is
a stupid thing for a compiler to allow?  Maybe not, but I do.  I think
compilers should check semantic correctness when possible as well as for
syntactic correctness.  At least a warning message would be useful, also
not every implementation of C is accompanied by lint.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems and Ohio State University
Domain: lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu