Help with strings

Dick Hauser nab1382 at dsacng1.UUCP
Wed Jun 1 05:12:24 AEST 1988

I am requesting information about a problem I have encountered.
Standard input is being accessed using get(3).  In some instances,
processing does halt and await input from STDIN.  I read the
man documentation which says "The string is terminated by a newline
character, which is replaced by null character.  Since I have not
entered any information via the keyboard, the input buffer must
contain information which is terminating the get before any
I have the opportunity to enter information.  Processing ignores
the get I have issued.

Most of the readers of this newletter will consider this request
elementary.  I really would appreciate some help.  There must a
standard programming practice which helps eliminate this type of
problem.  Also, I requested the names of some beginner thru
intermediate level programming books describing the use of
pointers.  I posted the article to "comp.sources.wanted", but
nobody replied.

Like I said earlier, I am learning via trial-and-error, so thanks
in advance for any information you forward to me.

                                Dick Hauser
				dsacng1/dhauser

--
Dick Hauser        PHONE:  +1616-961-5312          AV: 932-5312
Defense Systems Automation Center, Battle Creek, Mi.