putting stuff in the text segment

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sun Jun 12 20:22:51 AEST 1988

In article <1457 at laidbak.UUCP>, daveb at laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) writes:
> In article <3813 at lynx.UUCP> m5 at lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:
>> Does a widely-accepted syntax extension to put data structures in
>> the text segment exist?
> I dunno of any language extensions, per se, to accomplish this.  [...]
> Sun (OS3.2) has embellished cc with a -R flag that accomplishes the
> same thing with a whole lot less trouble.

This is not Sun's innovation.  The -R flag exists in 4.3 and I believe
it existed in 4.2 as well.

> I believe that using the -R approach is superior to changing the
> language.  (It is certainly more portable.)

It is definitely more portable.  However, it has one disadvantage: it
applies to the entire file.  You can't have a mostly-normal file with
three strings going in the text segment, for example.

On the whole, I think changing the language is better *if* everyone
adopts the same way of doing so.  (This appears to be the intent of the
ANSI "const" keyword.)

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu