asymmetric layout

Barnacle Wes wes at obie.UUCP
Fri Mar 25 18:58:22 AEST 1988

In article <1136 at PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, edw at IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (Eddie Wyatt) writes:
>  In code segments that contain a lot of assigments, align the equal
> signs.  Example :
>     cosyaw = cos(rotate[YYAW]);
>     sinyaw = sin(rotate[YYAW]);
>
> becomes:
>
>     cosyaw              = cos(rotate[YYAW]);
>     sinyaw              = sin(rotate[YYAW]);
>
> Easier to read no?

Whoops, you've slightly mis-spelled something there.  That last
sentence should read:

Easier to read?  No.

Code like this just crawls off the right side of the page too easily,
and in small, crowded listings, like a laser printer in landscape line
printer font, you have a hard time telling which variable is being
assigned to which expression.  Have you spent much time looking
through *LONG* assembler listings (I'm talking on the order of 1400
PAGES here) and trying to decide which comment goes with which line?
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!