noalias comments to X3J11

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Mar 31 17:14:24 AEST 1988

> Signal handlers will be at least very similar to interrupt routines. ... it
> does not seem to be esoteric to me, if I set a flag in such a handler. ...
> ... how to tell the compiler it must not `optimize' the access to
> this flag?

It is very difficult to say much about what signal handlers can do safely.
Essentially the *one* thing that X3J11 guarantees is that they can set a
flag of type sig_atomic_t, an implementation-defined type that can have
any desired magic properties.
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry