MSC STACK OVERFLOW

Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Fri Mar 18 00:11:32 AEST 1988

In article <11480010 at hpsmtc1.HP.COM>, swh at hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
}Check how big your DOS environment variable area is.  I seem to recall that
}this space gets added to your stack.  Some of us, myself especially,
}allocate a large space (via /E: on the COMMAND.COM line in CONFIG.SYS) and
}forget about it.  Periodically I get bitten.
}
}---------------------
}Steve Harrold                   ...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
}                                HPG200/13
}                                (408) 447-5580
Actually, it's not how much you've allocated that matters, but how much is
actually in use.  When you EXEC a program, DOS creates an environment block
that is just large enough to hold all the current variables plus the
program's full name.  The amount you allocate via /E only sets the size of the
environment for the initial copy of COMMAND.COM.

--
{harvard,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- TalkNet: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.