VMS pointer problems continue.

Mike Ayers V053MF43 at ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.EDU
Fri Mar 25 06:04:48 AEST 1988

    No one gave me a solution last time, so here I am again to state the
problem a little more clearly. Thanks to a new utility, you can see firsthand
the kind of frustration I'm getting here:

$type q.c
char *wr(a)
int a;
{
char b = "Arf!";

return(b);
}

main()
{
 printf(" %s ",wr(4));
}
$cc q
$link q,sys$share:vaxcrtl-options-file/opt
$run q
%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00, virtual address=00000000,u[MF|L PC
=00005438, PSL=0BC00005
%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs PC
                                                           00005438  00005438
                                                           00002EC8  00002EC8
Q               main                               11      00000027  00000437
$type sys$share:vaxcrtl-options-file.opt
Sys$Share:Vaxcrtl.Exe/Share

    I am certain that this code is perfectly legal within K&R syntax rules.
The error here seems to be that I am linking the wrong way. I am under VMS
4.7, and all the C linking rules have been changed. If anyone knows what I am
doing wrong here (I am trying simply to get my function to return a pointer to
the first character in a string - the function declaration I am using is the
same style K&R used for their fgets) PLEASE let me know - this is getting
downright aggravating.
    By the way, this code was ported to Turbo C where it also refused to
compile properly - the best I've gotten under any system was the same garbage
every time I run it. Has someone changed all the declaration standards while I
wasn't looking?

   Me again . . .             Mike Ayers                 /|___/|
                                                        / ,  _ |
   INTERNET: V053MF43 at UBVMS.BITNET or                   | O O  /
             V053MF43 at UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU              /    /
   SNAILNET: 190 Minnesota Ave.                        |\  /      ARF!
             Buffalo, NY 14214                          ---
   BELLNET : (716)838-3696                               U

   "I am a jelly doughnut."
            - John F. Kennedy