The D Programming Language (was: Still more new operators)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Mar 4 04:51:06 AEST 1988

> >I would suggest that "abc" should mean a length-3 string with any necessary
> >terminator, regardless of what flavor of string is in use...
>
> And how do you specify what flavor of string is "is use?".

Pick a way.  I can think of several.  The point is that the compiler, not
the user, should be charged with translating a string constant into the
correct internal representation.  It can generate a count just as easily
as it can generate a trailing NUL, and either way this is much better than
making the programmer do it.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry