C declaration styles

mhyman at cup.portal.com mhyman at cup.portal.com
Sun Mar 27 06:05:14 AEST 1988

>>>... I have often seen the following:
>>>       static int foofunction (int, int)
>>
>>Microsoft C uses the /static/ storage class...
>
>Well, if Microsoft C does it...  Come on now, if that was true `far',
>`huge', `mongo', et cetera would be standard.  Let's try to be a
>little more definitive in our references.

I quote from the second edition of C: A Reference Manual, Harbison and Steele

SEC. 4.3 page 59

"static	This storage class specifier may appear on declarations of functions
	or variables.  On function definitions, it is used only to specify
	that the function name is *not* to be exported to the linker...."

Also see th bottom of page 80 in K&R.

--Marc

Marco S. Hyman
banglist: ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!mhyman
domain:   mhyman at cup.portal.com