Why he won't use ANSI C

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ISC.COM
Wed Mar 9 05:35:28 AEST 1988

In article <295 at alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk> fox at alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk (Paul Fox) writes:
>In article <2331 at umd5.umd.edu> chris at trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>>X3J11 has actually done quite well ... There are a few botches [e.g. ...]
>
>Well, what about the fact that [after declaring a function pointer `fp`]
>	fp == *fp == **fp == ***fp ?

The only new part is that `fp()` is now a valid way to invoke the indirect
function.  It's always been true that, in any context other than `(*fp)()`,
`*fp` would degenerate to `fp`; all they did was remove the special case.  (A
cleaner approach would have been to deprecate the degeneration, and require an
explicit ampersand: `fp = &main`.  Too big a change, I suppose.)