$1 check for first person who convinces me main can't be reserved

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Mar 3 04:48:09 AEST 1988

In article <8025 at elsie.UUCP> ado at elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>Nope.  Recent drafts say that application programmers aren't allowed to use
>__* and _[A-Z]* identifiers, which are reserved to implementers; recent drafts
>do not say that implementers may reserve *only* those identifiers.

The draft does not specify "programmers" or "implementers", just what
identifiers are reserved, period.  (4.1.2)  Conforming implementations are
prohibited from usurping other identifiers via any of the standard headers,
and conforming programs cannot defined one of the reserved identifiers.  A
possible deduction that could be drawn from the rules is that for the most
part, _-names are available for the implementation.

I think the only real issue is that a keyword is not an identifier, so there
is a possible loophole that should be closed.  I'm pretty sure there wasn't
any intention of allowing conforming implementations to define additional
non-_ keywords.

At least, that's my interpretation of the proposed standard..