Why you should use puts(3) when you don't need printf(3)

Ray Lubinsky rwl at uvacs.CS.VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Mar 22 01:07:11 AEST 1988

In article <2770 at mmintl.UUCP> franka at mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
> There is a time and a place for careful programming to maximize speed.  And
> there is a time and a place for lazy programming.  For code which is only
> going to be run a few times, or code whose execution time is dominated by
> physical I/O time (or user response time), lazy programming is the way to go.

Sure, sure.  I was of course referring to serious coding.  But if I have
something I'm going to throw away after a few uses, I'll just write a shell
script or an awk program.  Now that's *real* inefficient in terms of execution
speed, but given the tiny amount of development time needed, it's quite
acceptable.

--
| Ray Lubinsky,                    UUCP:      ...!uunet!virginia!uvacs!rwl    |
| Department of                    BITNET:    rwl8y at virginia                  |