The D Programming Language

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Wed Mar 2 07:43:11 AEST 1988

In article <12059 at brl-adm.ARPA> dsill at NSWC-OAS.arpa (Dave Sill) writes:
>The time is ripe for a more flexible "Code for Information
>Interchange".  How many more years/decades will we be forced to make
>do with a lousy 95 symbols: all predefined, most vastly overloaded?

ISO extended the character set several years ago.  It has also been
extended (in more than one way) to accommodate Kanji characters.
C source can be in EBCDIC (for example); it seems inappropriate to
require either a specific character code "standard", or an even
larger set of characters than it already uses, given the amount of
trouble with this we've already had.