VMS pointer problems continue.

Rick Schubert rns at se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM
Tue Mar 29 01:37:24 AEST 1988

In article <1223 at PT.CS.CMU.EDU> jgm at K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (John Myers) writes:
>In article <1494 at se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM> rns at se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) writes:
                                                                       ^ That's me
>:   ...
>:                                                            The string
>:>pointed to by b ("Arf!") should be considered local to wr(); the compiler
>:>is free to allocate it on the stack [...]
>
>Wrong.  String constants have storage class "static" according to K&R
>Appendix A, section 2.5.  Please check your references before you post.

Sorry -- You and several people who sent me mail on this are right, and
I was wrong.  I didn't check K&R or the current ANSI Draft (Section 3.1.4)
before posting.  I cancelled my posting after receiving the first mail,
and I was hoping my erroneous posting wouldn't go too far.  I'll try to
be more careful next time.

>_.John G. Myers		Internet: John.Myers at cs.cmu.edu

 -- Rick Schubert (I'm not always wrong)