Pascal --> C question

mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 25 02:03:00 AEST 1988

>In article <225800016 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>a flush terminates a record.

>Show me where any accepted standard for C says that fflush()
>introduces a record delimiter.

Nowhere. As far as I can recall, I have never seen the concept of a record
discussed in any C reference. The IO system of C seems oblivious to records.
Thus, as a corollary, if by some chance a C standard io stream gets
connected to a file that isn't stream, the results would be "system dependent",
which implies that the implementer CAN'T BE WRONG! If VMS C connects to
stream-LF files, then, and only then, would a flush be broken.

Doug Gwyn: Are you here? Is that correct? What does ANSI C say about
record-oriented files?

Doug McDonald