volatile

Tom Neff tneff at atpal.UUCP
Tue Mar 29 23:15:30 AEST 1988

In article <1988Mar29.004454.2867 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> ... The point is that [OS-type programs where /volatile/ is important]
>are a sufficiently small subset of C applications that the need should be
>addressed with #pragma, rather than by cluttering up the type system with it.

Well, in all fairness I could easily live with #pragma volatile(foo) instead,
*IF* compiler writers actually bothered to code the pragmas when XJ311 "let
them off the hook" by degrading /volatile/ from a required language feature
to a totally elective pragma.  I'm not sure they would, especially if they
were busy trying to figure out /noalias/.  :-)     TMN
--

Tom Neff