Languages vs. machines (was Re: The need for D-scussion)

Hank Dietz hankd at pur-ee.UUCP
Wed Mar 30 15:24:18 AEST 1988

In article <1226 at PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, edw at IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (Eddie Wyatt) writes:
> This really doesn't belong in comp.lang.c but.....
>
> > Compilers can
> > hide lots of annoying differences, but they can't change a nifty linked
> > VAX-optimal data structure into a simple vectorizable Cray-optimal array.
>
>    I ask you to prove the above statement.

Better still, a disproof exists in a paper which I'll be presenting at this
year's ICPP...  it describes a loop transformation which often can perform
this kind of conversion.  As to its optimality, well, who can really say?
I'm willing to send interested folk advance copies of the paper.

					Prof. Hank Dietz
					School of EE
					Purdue University
					West Lafayette, IN  47907