Portable "asm" (Was: The D Programming Language)

Dr. T. Andrews tanner at ki4pv.uucp
Fri Mar 4 10:18:42 AEST 1988

Portable "asm".  Right.  All the world isn't a 68K, but all machines
have the same instruction set and registers.

Now, if I were implementing an "asm" construct, I'd probably do
something cheesy like
#asm
	Assembly code here.  Syntax as proper for local assembler.
	Be sure to enclose the "#asm" block within local #ifdef or
	be prepared for a surprise when you try to port.  May not
	be available on the compiler for the next machine you need.
#endasm

The local pre-processor (if not part of CC) needs to know how to pass
the "#asm" and "#endasm", of course.  Put it on the same list as the
thing that passes "#line" constructs.
--
{allegra clyde!codas decvax!ucf-cs ihnp4!codas killer}!ki4pv!tanner