noalias comments to X3J11

Jim Shankland jas at llama.rtech.UUCP
Mon Mar 28 17:01:10 AEST 1988

In article <1988Mar25.172355.348 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>>`Volatile,' in particular, is a frill for esoteric applications...
>>
>> What about an interrupt routine ....
>
>Interrupt routines are almost by definition esoteric, not to mention highly
>machine-specific.  Only on PCs do users commonly write their own interrupt
>routines....

Oh, all right, I'll rise to the bait.  What about shared memory applications?
Surely memory that can be written by another process at any time is volatile.
Do we really want to claim that all code addressing shared memory is part
of an "esoteric application"?
Jim Shankland
  ..!ihnp4!cpsc6a!\
               sun!rtech!jas