The D Programming Language (was: Still more new operators)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Mar 3 04:30:43 AEST 1988

In article <2737 at mmintl.UUCP> franka at mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>We need to figure out how to make D efficient without regard to the
>addressing unit of the machine.  Off-hand, I'm not sure how to do that.

Obviously, you let the compiler take care of allocating suitable sizes.
For it to do this, the programmer needs to specify something about the
intended usage of the variable, such as is done with enumeration types,
Booleans, and subscript ranges in various languages.