Does extern "const" allocate storage?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Mar 27 00:27:51 AEST 1988

In article <6985 at ki4pv.uucp> tanner at ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
>So, allow me to propose that it be called "readonly" instead of "const".

"const" was the name that C++ used for this type qualifier, which is
the main reason we decided to also call it "const".  Note, however,
that at the December meeting this qualifier was very nearly changed
to take on more of the meaning currently assigned to "noalias".  If
the AT&T representative had not vociferously objected to the conflict
with C++ usage of the keyword "const", it is possible that its name
would have been even LESS indicative of its function.

This subject is by no means closed; type qualifiers are likely to be
the most-discussed issue at the April meeting.  Who knows what will
happen..