asymmetric layout

Ray Butterworth rbutterworth at watmath.waterloo.edu
Sat Mar 19 01:24:40 AEST 1988

> It is my opinion, and sometimes practicing style that vertical alignment
> is a *good* thing.  Another example is in declarations, e.g.
>
> struct athing       **ptr;      /* Say what ptr is      */
> struct bthing        *aptr;     /* Another explanation      */
> char              c;        /* Names all start in same col  */
> char             *cc;       /* And are alphabetized in type */
> int           i;        /* Types sorted by name length  */

Of course another thing to keep in mind is that not every site
or every user believes that "tabs every 8" is a universal truth.
That's what the article looked like when I read it, and it failed
to convince me that this format was better than the original.

(You should see how some people's fancy .signature lines appear :-)