volatile

Walter Bays walter at garth.UUCP
Wed Mar 30 09:42:39 AEST 1988

In article <1988Mar29.004454.2867 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Nobody is saying that the concept is not necessary in certain specialized
>situations.  The point is that these are a sufficiently small subset of C
>applications that the need should addressed with #pragma, rather than by
>cluttering up the type system with it.  The principal problem with #pragma
>is that it is not portable, since its semantics are not standardized, but
>the sort of code we're talking about isn't portable anyway.

Programs using signal handlers and/or shared memory could be portable.
Any similarities between my opinions and those of the
person who signs my paychecks is purely coincidental.
E-Mail route: ...!pyramid!garth!walter
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, California 94303
Phone: (415) 852-2384