Undelivered mail

MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Sun Mar 13 00:40:06 AEST 1988

Subject:  Re: The D Programming Language

[Non-Deliverable:  User does not exist or has never logged on]

Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 88 21:26:58 GMT
Sender:       Info-C List <INFO-C at NDSUVM1>
From:         "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart at bms-at.uucp>
Comments: To: info-c at brl-smoke.arpa
To:           Vic Kapella <SXJVK at ALASKA>

In article <700 at l.cc.purdue.edu>, cik at l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
> but even for direct operators.  For example, the infamous frexp function
> in C should not have the syntax

>     y = frexp(x,&n);

> but

>     y,n = frexp(x);

> This would, for example, allow n to be in a register, which is probably
> where it should be anyhow.

> Another example would be to have

>     q,r = a///b;

> where the quotient and remainder are simultaneously produced.  Possibly

Another example is string comparison.  I use a string compare function
that returns the index of the first different character.  I also
need the gt/lt/eq result.  Fortunately, in this case it is easily
computed by recomparing the chars at the index.  This is another case
of a double valued hardware primitive.  (Available on all three
of the architectures we use: Series/1, 80286, 68020.)
--
Stuart D. Gathman    <stuart at bms-at.uucp>
            <..!{vrdxhq|daitc}!bms-at!stuart>