Undelivered mail

MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Sat Mar 12 15:19:24 AEST 1988

Subject:  Re: Another \"D\" idea: RPN (and more)

[Non-Deliverable:  User does not exist or has never logged on]

Date:         Tue, 8 Mar 88 16:51:00 GMT
Sender:       Info-C List <INFO-C at NDSUVM1>
From:         justin at inmet.uucp
Comments: To: info-c at brl-smoke.arpa
To:           Vic Kapella <SXJVK at ALASKA>

/* Written  4:29 pm  Mar  3, 1988 by gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP in inmet:comp.lang.c */
In article <12088 at brl-adm.ARPA> TLIMONCE%DREW.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I think that the one thing that really detracts from C is the fact that it
>isn't RPN.  Reverse-polish-notation has a lot of benefits.  First of all,
>we'd get the support of all the HP calculator lovers, all the FORTH users,
>and compiler writers would find it easier to write compilers since RPN is
>easier to parse.

This idea isn't totally off-the-wall, but it would move the D language
away from being a revised C and toward something markedly different.
/* End of text from inmet:comp.lang.c */

God, it's finally happened. I had heard about this trend, but I couldn't
believe it. But it's really true. Nobody on the net (except in talk.bizarre)
is capable of recognizing sarcasm without a row of smileys at the end!

Come on, people, *think* about what you're reading. If we really have lost
the ability to tell what tone the article was written in, it means that
English on the net has degenerated a lot more than I thought.

                    -- Justin du Coeur