Long Chars & Internationalisation

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Mar 20 12:18:49 AEST 1988

In article <1386 at edison.GE.COM> rja at edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
>  There is a need to be able to handle these 16-bit and 8-bit characters
>in C intelligently.  I've yet to be convinced how best to do it.  This
>SHOULD be looked into by the ANSI committee until a consensus can be reached
>on how to do this.  I don't believe that the std itself should be held up
>just because of longchar support.

???  This HAS been looked into by X3J11 and a solution proposed,
that has been accepted by a large segment of the internationalization
folks.

I happen to dislike the solution because it treats character sets
such as kanji as second-class citizens, but the Japanese seem to
not mind.  My guess is that they're so desperate for a solution
that they'll accept anything workable.