Undelivered mail

MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Sat Mar 12 21:06:48 AEST 1988

Subject:  Re: Pascal --> C question

[Non-Deliverable:  User does not exist or has never logged on]

Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 88 23:16:49 GMT
Sender:       Info-C List <INFO-C at NDSUVM1>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was news at sigi.Colorado.EDU
From:         Frank Swarbrick <swarbric at tramp.Colorado.EDU>
Comments: To: info-c at brl-smoke.arpa
To:           Vic Kapella <SXJVK at ALASKA>

In article <3352 at psuvax1.psu.edu> schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz)
 writes:
:In article <4940001 at hpiacla.HP.COM> mlight at hpiacla.HP.COM (Mike Light ) writes:
:>>    SinWave: packed array[0..255] of char;
:>>    char SinWave[256];
:
:>Almost any pascal-ism has an equivalent in C (but not necessarily
:>the other way around).
:
:Except that the useful ones are never that easy.  One of my favorites:
:    bitstring: packed array[0..1023] of boolean;
:In C you have to do bit-fiddling by hand to get the same effect.
:

How about:

typedef char bool;
bool bitstring[1024];

Or does the "packed" thing in Pascal have some special meaning?  I never could
figure out what the difference between a packed array and a regular array was.

Frank Swarbrick (and his cat)
swarbric at tramp.UUCP               swarbric at tramp.Colorado.EDU
..!{hao|nbires}!boulder!tramp!swarbric
"Can't help about the shape I'm in.
 I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin."