The D Programming Language

Dave Burton daveb at laidbak.UUCP
Sun Mar 6 13:07:01 AEST 1988

In article <25284 at cca.CCA.COM> g-rh at CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>Here is another feature for D whose absence in C has been irksome to
>me -- I would like to be able to return several items from a function.
>... But how do I get stuff back.
>... Things which are returned need a mechanism equivalent to pass
>by address.

Please don't design D until you understand C.
C has had pass by reference for a very long time (since its inception?).
The following useless code illustrates:

	int flag, foobar();
	x = foobar(&flag);
	int foobar(arg)
		int *arg;
	{
		*arg = 1;
		return 0;
	}

Now, what could be simpler?
--
--------------------"Well, it looked good when I wrote it"---------------------
 Verbal: Dave Burton                        Net: ...!ihnp4!laidbak!daveb