Are the criteria for Unix and PC compilers different?

Dave White backstro at silver.bacs.indiana.edu
Tue Mar 8 02:31:09 AEST 1988

In article <22314ad9 at ralf.home> Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>In article <1106 at silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, backstro at silver.bacs.indiana.edu
>(Dave White) writes:
>}When will [PC C compiler vendors] realize that some of us really want
>}the option of using 32-bit ints to port Unix-born code?
>
>#define int long
>
>Need I say more?
It isn't that simple. Your suggestion would ensure that the
compiler thought the code I was compiling saw ints and longs
the same way, but this would not be the case with the compiler's
run-time library, which would need to be recompiled and debugged.
alloc and friends, for example, take int-sized arguments in my machine!

I want to port code, not support a compiler (the code is enough trouble
as it is :-)
If we want to coverse further, perhaps we should do so by mail -- let;s
not clutter up the newsgroup!
backstro at silver.bacs.indiana.edu